Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 07-14-2008, 09:10 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: mastercraft,205 prostar,1992,351
fuel sender

Have you done this before is it easy ,could you tell some sort of intruction because the unit are back order and i could save 75.00 dollars.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 Prostar 205
Here's an article I was working on for my site, but it's not quite finished yet:

If you own an older Mastercraft Prostar, you may have had an issue with the fuel gauge not working or getting stuck. Before you run out and spend a boat load of money getting it fixed or replaced, you may consider fixing it yourself. My gauge hadnít worked since I got the boat so I decided to check it out. I found the fix to be actually quite simple.

First I had to slide the gas tank forward. This wasnít as hard as I thought. There are four clips, two at the front bottom into the floor and two at the top back. The tank will slide forward enough to get the sending unit out. I undid the two wires after marking the positive, removed the five screws holding it in place and pulled the unit.

Inside the sending unit, there are two magnets attached to a float. The float had swelled over time and the magnets had come out of their groove and got stuck between the float and the circuit board.

The bottom cap of my sending unit just fell off. Iím sure itís supposed to be glued on, so you may have to carefully cut yours off.

My next step was to free the float. I stuck a length of bailing wire with about a ľĒ hook on the end and pulled the float out. I lightly sanded the edges and inside the guide grooves until the float slid freely up and down the tube. Donít get too aggressive as the float material is pretty light and sands easily. It doesnít take much.

Next was to glue the magnets to the float. I used G2, but Iím sure you could use any epoxy that doesnít break down in gasoline. Since the whole unit is immersed in gas, thatís kind of important.

Then I inserted the float into the tube. I put my magnets toward the bottom of the tube so that the gauge would read empty sooner than later. Just a little precautionary thing. Then I glued the end cap back on. Be sure to slide the float up a bit so you donít accidentally glue the float to the end cap. I resisted the urge to put it back together and let it sit over night.

I dropped the sending unit back into the tank and tested the unit by turning the key on and moving the unit up and down. It seemed to work, so I inserted the 5 screws holding it down, connected the wires and and shoved the tank back into place. Then I had a beer to celebrate while vacuuming the boat.

Saving money is good.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:03 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1991 Prostar 190, fuel injected 302
Good write up muttley!!!! That's what I had to do on my '91 a couple years ago. No problems since then.

'91 prostar 190
Old 07-15-2008, 12:02 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190 Blue Stars and Stripes, Powerslot
Mutt, great description and pics. I did similar process on my 93 last year. However, it is sticking a little again this year and I think it was because I did not sand the grooves, only the outside. I will have to take it apart again and do grooves and outside a little more. I used superglue to glue magnets in and to put bottom cap on. I let it sit in gas overnight to see if glue would hold and it did. I guess I will also have to check if the magnets came unglued. Also, what site are you referring to?
Old 07-15-2008, 01:14 PM
MC Master Poster

I haven't seen the outside diameter cause a problem, only the grooves. I suppose it can be, but as long as it slides freely, it should work.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo87prostar View Post
what site are you referring to?
www.muttley.ca. It's in the process of being reworked, so it's still my old site. I have since shut down my company since taking over another one.

I'm putting together a more personal site which will be up and running eventually. I hope to have a nice tips & tricks section.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
I haven't seen the outside diameter cause a problem, only the grooves. I suppose it can be, but as long as it slides freely, it should work.
That's the key.

On mine, the plastic sliders inside the tube had a slight warp. Opening up the side grooves in the float a little compensated for that. The float had flaired at the ridges so sanding the edges took care of that.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:11 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 1990
Hey Muttley where exactly could I find the gas tank at? My gas guage is currently reading full all the time (Possibly just wishful thinking on the boat's part). Just bought the boat recently and do not have much experience in this type of field. I do have people that could help as long as I can explain the problem to them and your illustration on how to fix it, just need to find the gas tank to slide it some or w/e you had talked about. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Prostar 205
My fuel gauge will go to full but when I run the baot it will not go below 1/2 tank. would that be a sending unit. Were would the sending unit be on a 1998 pro star 205???

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-25-2008, 03:13 PM
MC Master Poster

It's behind the rear seat.